Friday, February 21, 2014

Why I'm Not Trying Another Tri-A-Tri....for Now

It's been over four months since my last post. Not having a working computer until recently has been a huge reason for this. I miss writing. Maybe time to get back at it? I promise I won't aways write about triathlons but for now it's an easy topic as I multitask while watching our Canadian Olympic men's hockey team battle the Americans!

I know I said in my last post that I would be back this season to try and get under the hour mark in another try-a-tri. I am just slightly competitive and was looking forward to beating my first time, but I've since decided to let it go for now. My main reason last time was to try something that was really hard for me and would take a lot of dedication. I followed through and checked that off the list. But the truth is, training for three different sports takes a lot of time. One of my goals for 2014 is to be intentional about how I spend my time (another post on that one to come). Exercise is something that is important to me, but I only have so much time to dedicate to it and I want to focus on things I enjoy. I love to swim, I wouldn't mind being a runner someday and I enjoy bike rides. But consistent training in any of those sports doesn't top my list. When I was training last year, I completely neglected weight-training which I want to get back into. I've also recently taken up yoga which my body needs. I don't have the desire to dedicate five or six workouts a week to training properly and giving up the things I actually enjoy. Working out can be enough of a challenge, I might as well focus on the things I love and that help my body.

Goals are good. I make them often. I would definitely like to reach my "under an hour" try-a-tri goal in the future but for now I'm putting it on hold and I feel good about it. I will be proud of my one hour and seven seconds in the triathlon world and cheer on my family and friends who want to stick around. We can say goodbye to this topic for awhile ;)

No comments: